I originally purchased an original HTC Vive and began collecting numerous PCVR games on the Steam platform. What was nice about this, was the HTC Vive allowed me to take advantage of my 2080 TI. Eventually I ended up purchasing a Oculus Quest 2, which opened up access to the Oculus store. The downside to this was I found myself repurchasing the same games I had already owned, on the PCVR steam store.
Well I found out that one can run PCVR games on their Oculus Quest 2 using handy program called Virtual Desktop and I figured that documenting the steps here might allow someone else to take advantage of this incredibly useful approach.
Please note, there are prerequisites:
- You must have a modern gaming computer with a graphics card, as the Oculus Quest 2 will be leveraging that computer to do the processing.
- You must have a strong WiFi signal that uses 5 Ghz.
Here are the steps:
- Purchase, download and install Virtual Desktop on the Oculus store
- Download and install the Virtual Desktop Stream App on your gaming computer
- Start the Virtual Desktop Stream App on your gaming PC
- Launch Virtual Desktop on your Quest 2 and connect to your gaming PC
From here, you should be able to launch games right from your Quest. I’ve been using it for play a ton of different VR games and have only occasionally experienced a problem, that a restart of the applications has always fixed.
If you’re looking to super charge your Quest 2, consider building a Franken Quest 2